Yum Yum Things

Monday, February 21, 2011

Heirloom Tomatoes



I've been planting tomatoes and harvesting for the last 2 years.
I found heirloom variety at the Santa Monica farmers market and they were so great.
My favorite one was called "Garden Peach" which produce golden yellow, sweet and meaty tomatoes.



so I decided to get it from the same place again for this year's crop.
As I was talking to the vendor guy; because I wanted to buy another variety, he told me he has San Marzano kind.
I HAD TO get it.

so now I have Garden Peach, San Marzano and cherry tomato(but quite big) which kept reproducing by its self for 2 years. when the vine got really long and had a lot of tomatoes, the vines start to get brown and at the bottom of the plant there were new shoots growing. Normally tomato plants die in the winter but because it's sunny and it doesn't get that cold here, the plant never died.
The cherry tomatoes must have produced more than 200 tomatoes over 2 years.

I can't wait the summer to harvest!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home